Besides Port Lockroy the Trust has taken on the conservation management of five other historic sites: Damoy Refuge, Detaille, Horseshoe, Stonington, and Wordie.
Wordie blogs are here
Wordie (HSM 62) (65°15'S, 64°16'W) ‘Base F (Wordie House)’ on Winter Island, Argentine Islands. Of historical importance as an example of an early British scientific research station. It was established in January 1947 as (Base F) ‘Argentine Islands’ and the main hut, ‘Wordie House’, was named after the chief scientist on Ernest Shackleton’s epic 1914–17 expedition. This hut also stands on the foundations of an earlier building, used by the British Graham Land Expedition [1935–36], which was destroyed (possibly by a tsunami) in 1946.
The most important scientific research carried out here was in meteorology. Recording instruments were housed in meteorological screens, one of which can still be seen today a short distance to the east of the hut. The meteorological recording programme transferred to the larger base on Galindez Island, when Wordie House closed in 1954, where it continues to this day. This work has produced one of the longest and most important continuous scientific datasets from the Antarctic.
Wordie House was designated a Historic Site and Monument in 1995. The base was made structurally secure and weather tight by a UKAHT work party in the 2009/2010 season. There are an estimated 500 artefacts on site.
Download the Antarctic Treaty Wordie Visitor Guide(350KB pdf file).
Download the Antarctic Heritage Trust Wordie House Information Sheet.
Find out how you can support the work of UKAHT.